Sunday, December 10, 2006

Is God a Killjoy?

I'm reading a book called the Ten(der) Commandments by Ron Mehl and it has really made me stop and think so I though I would share some of the gleanings I've gotten from it so far with you.

So often when people think of God and the bible they see someone who is a killjoy. They read the Ten Commandments and the hear rattling chains and clanking prison doors. They see these Commands as the harsh, legalistic, confining commandments of a god who finds some kind of sadistic joy in watching people suffer as they try to keep his laws. Is this really the case? Are the Ten Commandments a binding burden on us that God has put there just because he can?

Have you ever stopped and taken a moment to read through Exodus 19 in its lead up to the giving of the Ten Commands in Exodus 20? 'The Lord called to Moses out of the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the people of Israel: You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on Eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel."' (Ex 19:3-6)Did you hear that? In his introduction to the Ten Commandments God talks about bearing his people up on eagles wings. The Lord was reminding them of how much he had done and how he had saved them from oppression and slavery. How can a God who loves his children so much that he will use an analogy like that of a mother eagle teaching her young to fly and making sure they don't get hurt, give unloving commands? No! God's commandments are expressions of his love and care and concern for his people. They aren't just some arbitrary laws that he has given to makes us unhappy, they are the loving words of a loving God. "I bore you up on eagles wings!"

love can come in many different shapes. It might come as a quick hug from a friend when you need it the most, it might come as a word of encouragement or a box of chocolates, or a love letter, or a blood soaked cross on Calvary's hill, or it might even show up written in stone. I might come as Ten Commandments. God has written us a love letter (the bible) and it is full of stories about him and those that follow him, it is full of wisdom and poetry, it is full of fantastic and glorious stories about what he is like, and it is full of advice. Loving advice. Fatherly advice. Perfect advice. Ten Commandment advice. Who wouldn't want to listen to commands like this?

5 comments:

Lynnette Feijer said...

Hey Dave! I really enjoyed your post! How true it is! God is so gracious, loving and forgiving!

scott+jenk said...

Yah way too often we (I) see the 10 commandments as a restrictive standard rather than loving commands... I appreciated your post Dave..

*Kara* said...

same here... i remember when going to public highschool, my friends would see christianity as just that...a bunch of rules...how wrong they are!

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

this is incredible! Every blog and email I read today is soaked with the same message: We have such a loving God!

....I'm amazed....

Re van Eyk said...

very well plagerized dave...lol just kidding, great post, Thank God that he's not "just" in the sence that he holds us to keeping those ten perfectly, and thanks be to him for providing someone who would!

...Greg