Friday, February 11, 2011

Music I like - Andrew Peterson

I love music.  I listen to a lot of music and have very eclectic taste when it comes to music.  I think I have somewhere in the range of 900+ artists in my music library.  I can't come close to my wife's musical talents, but I really do enjoy listening to music.  One thing I've found a bit hard though is finding Christian artists that I truly enjoy. I suppose its no different than the secular music scene.  If you listen to the 'Top 40' type music you are stuck with pretty simple generic music (hopefully no Beiber fan kills me).  Its not often that you come across truly artistic music.  One of the things I really regret is the lack of artistry in lyrics.  I suppose I'm a bit of a sucker for a song with powerful, compelling, thought-provoking lyrics.

I have recently come across a couple of artists that have this kind of lyrical brilliance and one of them is Andrew Peterson.  The song embedded below illustrates this very well. Listen to it or read through these lyrics.  There is so much in this song.  Overtly it is of course about marriage, but I think it can apply to all parts of life. Life is a possible minefield of troubles. As Job says, man is prone to trouble as the sparks fly upwards, but that's what the promise is for! We can dance through this minefield of life if we go forward trusting in the promises

Well I was 19 you were 21 
The year we got engaged 
Everyone said we were much to young 
But we did it anyway 
We got the rings for 40 each from a pawn shop down the road 
We said our vows and took the leap now 15 years ago 

Chorus: 
We went dancing in the minefields 
We went sailing in the storm 
And it was harder than we dreamed 
But I believe that's what the promise is for 

Well 'I do' are the two most famous last words 
The beginning of the end 
But to lose your life for another I've heard is a good place to begin 
Cause the only way to find your life is to lay your own life down 
And I believe it's an easy price for the life that we have found 

Chorus: 
And we're dancing in the minefields 
We're went sailing in the storm 
And it was harder than we dreamed 
But I believe that's what the promise was for 
That's what the promise is for 

Bridge: 
So when I lose my way, find me 
When I lose loves chains, bind me 
At the end of all my faith 
to the end of all my days 
when I forget my name, remind me 

Cause we bear the light of the son of man 
So there's nothing left to fear 
So I'll walk with you in the shadow lands 
Till the shadows disappear 
Cause he promised not to leave us 
And his promises are true 
So in the face of this chaos baby 
I can dance with you 

Chorus: 
So lets go dancing in the minefields 
Lets go sailing in the storms 
Oh lets go dancing in the minefields 
And kicking down the doors 
Oh lets go dancing in the minefields 
And sailing in the storms 
Oh this is harder than we dreamed 
But I believe that's what the promise if for 
That's what the promise is for


No comments: