Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Books I've Read - Blink

 Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell has had several best-sellers and for good reason.  He writes in a very readable and interesting style while getting across a very thought provoking point. This book reads almost like a story and was a very fun read, while at the same time pointing out some interesting an expected things about us and our brains.  The power of the subconscious brain in incredible and Gladwell brings that out in a compelling and interesting way.  This book may not change your life, but it is a very interesting book and well worth a read. 


Random Quote (page 34)
Imagine that you are considering me for a job. You've seen my resume and think I have the necessary credentials. But you want to know whether I am the right fir for your organization. Am I a hard Worker? Am I honest? Am I open to new ideas? in order to answer those questions about my personality, your boss gives you two options. The first is to meet with me twice a week for a year - to have lunch or dinner or go to a movie with me - to the point where you become on of my closet friends. (Your boss is quote demanding). The second option is to drop by my house when I'm not there and spend half an hour or so looking around. Which would you choose? -Gladwell goes on to show you when the seemingly obvious first option may not be the best way.

No comments: