Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Books I've Read - Animal Farm

Animal Farm
By George Orwell

Yes I know, this is a classic and I should have read it long ago.  Having finally gotten around to reading this book I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Much has already been made of the lessons in this book in English classes across this country so I won't try to analyze it too much.  If you have not read this book though, you really should.  I think one of my favorite characters in the book was the donkey.  In repeatedly stating that he had lived a long time, I could hear the words of Solomon:  'There is nothing new under the sun.'  It is true, of course, that people can and do change, but utopia cannot be found on this side of heaven. 

This book presents a good story in a quick and easy read and still gives you a lot to chew on and think about.  There really is a lot of depth in this book and I can see why it has become require reading in the classroom.  I'm pretty sure that my kids will be reading this book!

Random Quote:
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which (pg 95)

No comments: